If you were affected by the August 2014 floods in your rental housing, you may be eligible for assistance. To qualify, renters must first register with FEMA online at

www.disasterassistance.gov, via web-enabled phone at m.fema.gov or by calling 800-621-3362.


The following information is from FEMA:


Renters Advised to Register for Disaster Assistance 

Warren, Mich. – Southeast Michigan homeowners and renters who lost personal property as a

result of the August severe storms and flooding may be eligible for disaster-related assistance

from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and other agencies.

Renters who suffered damage to their apartment or leased/rented house are encouraged to contact


“August flooding didn’t discriminate between homeowners and renters,” said Michigan State

Police Capt. Chris A. Kelenske, State Coordinating Officer and Deputy State Director of

Emergency Management and Homeland Security. “Thanks to rental-support programs,

Michiganders who sustained flood damage could be eligible for assistance.”


Through Housing Assistance, FEMA offers two types of help to eligible renters:

* Money to rent a different place to live for a limited period while repairs are done to the

damaged home or apartment

* A free referral service to find a safe replacement rental property


“As Michigan renters are discovering, disaster aid is not limited to homeowners,” said Dolph A.

Diemont, federal coordinating officer. “Thousands of renters have registered with FEMA and are

currently receiving rental assistance as they rebuild their lives.”


Both renters and homeowners may also be eligible for Other Needs Assistance (ONA), designed

to help disaster survivors with uninsured or underinsured necessary expenses and serious needs

caused by the disaster. ONA grants can be used for:

* Disaster-related medical and dental expenses

* Disaster-related funeral and burial expenses

* Replacement or repair of necessary personal property lost or damaged, household items

such as room furnishings or appliances, and tools and equipment required by the

self-employed for their jobs

* Primary vehicles and approved second vehicles damaged by the disaster

* Reimbursement for eligible child care services


Filling out a U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA) loan application is a necessary step for

homeowners and renters to be considered for additional recovery programs. If the SBA is unable

to approve a loan, the applicant may be referred back to FEMA for other types of disaster aid.

To qualify for any of this assistance, renters must first register with FEMA online at

www.disasterassistance.gov, via web-enabled phone at m.fema.gov or by calling 800-621-3362

or TTY users call 800-462-7585. For 711 Relay or Video Relay Services, call 800-621-3362.

The toll-free telephone numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. seven days a week.


Those with questions about the SBA loan application should call the SBA Customer Service

Center at 800-659-2955 or TTY users call 800-877-8339. Survivors can also apply online using

the electronic loan applications at https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela.

Share →
Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On Facebook